“There

4,547 – The number of workplace fatalities in 2010.

$3,959,000,000.00 -

Comments

1. Emily says:

I remember hearing this while I lived in Indiana, our school science teacher liked to read the news. Rose you’re my best friend and when I found out that you were his daughter was surprising and sad. But I know it’s not something that you would like to talk about but I felt you should know I am here for you guuuuuuurl ;) dont u ever think u cant talk to me xD
    ~emily c ???

2. Marie says:

Mara,
    You are a very strong and an amazing role model for your children. It was brave to dig deep and uncover what was not being willfully disclosed to you. Your husband is living through you and your children and I am sure he is smiling and feeling proud each and every day. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers…thank you for sharing your story.

3. Edyie says:

Mara,
    My Heart truly aches for you and your Family! Thank You for sharing ! I admire your ability to fight for what you believe in and not letting Petes tragic and unnecessary death be treated like an accident . My Husband has worked at that plant for 12 years and every day when he comes home I hear how they work 12 hour shifts without a lunch break because the plant cant have anyone away from their post for 30 minutes they will lose profit ! The machines cant stop! Every employee in that plant has fought and fought for many years to get someone to realize how that plant operates as tho their employees are robots and they preach safety only after something like this happens. Unfortunalty the ways of the economy keep these guys working for corporations like Norampac because they are one of the few employers left around this area that offer medical benefits and a decent wage to provide for their families. I can only say that I have spent countless nights wondering if I will receive that unforgettable notification. Its heartbreaking to know we live in a society that has turned into operating on pure greed., empty hearts and always prepared to cover up to protect their assets. Corporations dont care to hear of the endless grief that a family goes through because of these tragedies caused by nothing less than the need for the almighty dollar. Every concern falls on deaf ears. Congress is the only way to change anything and that is so frustrating.. I pray for you in your journey May your vision stay Clear and your Heart stay strong.. At the End of your Journey Please find peace in knowing pete is living through you and your children and his wings will help you fly when your feet are tired. Please know that you have an army of people supporting you!
    God Bless
    Stay Strong!
    Truly
    Edyie

4. valerie says:

Mara,
    Thank you for sharing your story. You are a very strong and brave woman. Your children are beautiful and your courage will always be an inspiration for them.

5. Renee says:

Mara,
    I admire your courage, strength and devotion to Peter and your children. It must be so hard to carry on every day with this heavy burden in your heart. Your an amazing woman, and share your pain every day watching your baby grow. It’s hard to imagine 2 years has gone by. You look at her, you see Peter. He lives on in our hearts. God Bless you all!

6. Anne Marie Hepfer says:

Mara, You are a wonderful mother. Your strength to share your story is admirable. Your story brought tears. Rose, Peter and Emma have had to experience such great sadness at an early age. It is rediculous that the OSHA laws allow such petty fines. I am glad your story will let people know what these big companies can get away with. The board and management should be ashamed of their actions. Safety should be number one NOT PROFITS!!

7. Anonymous says:

This article was so beautifully written. I am so sorry about you and your family’s lost of such a great man. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Thank you for being so strong to share your story with others.
    Lisa Buss

8. Jennifer Nalbone says:

Mara,
    You and your family have been and always will be in my thoughts and prayers. Thank you for sharing Peter’s story with us. You are a very courageous woman, and your children are so blessed to have a mother with such strength. They will always remember Peter because of you!

(((HUGS)))

9. Dan Davis says:

Mara, Your courage is unsurpassed. Very touching and… reminiscent of the injustices that result from the mindset that puts PROFITS and CONVIENCE before worker safety.

10. steve jackson says:

Myra , I wish I could go back in time and change things . God is in control of our lives although it is so difficult to accept , but somehow he has a future plan in this . Pete was good people , he will always be missed . It’s sad that our tears our dried by our own hands , and somehow others go on without a blink . You no Connie & myself will be a phone call away . love ya and God bless

11. Jim Warner says:

Mara, I am so glad you wrote this for the world to read, to learn what your family has gone through – the ramifications of one tragic death. Hopefully, employers will use this tragedy to realize that cost cutting of safety measures to increase profitability at the expense of its employees is morally and fundamentally wrong. Congressional legislators need to press forward H.R. 190 and S. 1166 to update the 1970 law to prevent future workplace injuries and deaths. This would provide OSHA with more power and influence to thwart and hold accountable those employers who continue to have hazardous workplace conditions through the enforcement of much heavies penalties and jail time for those companies and persons responsible – and should further require closing facilities of employers who violate the law or knowingly bypass worker safety until measures are implemented to provide safe working environments.

12. Benjamin says:

Mara, you are truly a strong and brave mother. Your children are so lucky to have your love and guidance! I am sure your husband is smiling down upon your special family!!

13. Lynne Fredericks says:

I share the sentiments of Michelle, (above.) A well written and heartbreaking artlicle.

14. Anonymous says:

Mara, the courage to even write this article speaks volumes about the strength you share with and use to protect your children. When you need more strength and courage, I’m sure Peter is right there to help you. God bless you.

15. Michelle Kratts says:

Mara, I read this with tears in my eyes. What a beautiful, brave and strong woman you are! I have so much respect for you for fighting for what is right. It’s tough fighting big companies and management and I cant imagine how hard it was for you with three young children and dealing with so much personally. People forget that those “numbers” and “statistics” are real people that should never be forgotten and their deaths should never be dismissed just like a little unfortunate accident. Your husband would be so proud of your strength and convictions. Good luck to you in the future. Your kids will always remember your courage. (Michelle Barthel)